Winner of the Bentley International Award for Best Residential Development 2006. The South African Property Owners Association Awarded The Island Club at Century City the TOP AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN DEVELOPMENT FOR A RESIDENTIAL PROJECT IN S.A FOR 2005.
The challenge included:
- Responding to the striking architecture of Canal Walk Shopping Centre and in particular its northern face to Half Moon Bay.
- Using engineered waterways, buildings and landscaping to create a ‘sense of place’.
- Producing a promenade along the Grand Canal that stimulates a cosmopolitan lifestyle reflecting the new urbanist dream that is Century City.
- Ensuring that virtually all apartments have water frontage.
- Creating a secure and luxuriously landscaped environment with running tracks, play parks, indoor heated and outdoor pools.
- Producing buildings with movement and changing roofscapes so as to respond to the waterways and achieve visual interest and a human scale.
- Producing well-designed apartments of good internal proportions with views.
- Enabling a lifestyle of convenience where buildings and spaces are interconnected and user-friendly.
The Island Club comprises of 445 apartments, a boutique hotel and 12 shop-studios. The evolution of the Island Club design was an intense experience for the multi disciplinary team involved.